FAQs for individual using our Airside App.
FAQs for individuals using our Mobile Passport App.
Need help with an Airside Business Product? Get Help
Airside Digital Identity App
How do I use the Airside App?
- Download the Airside App for free from the Apple App Store onto a mobile device with iOS 13.0 or later.
- Open the app and sign up to create an account using your email address. Check your email inbox for a verification code to confirm your account. Your account will be encrypted using TouchID, FaceID, or your device PIN.
- Select the IDs tab to take your selfie, then add and verify your passport, U.S. driver's license, or COVID test result.
- Select the Services tab and determine which ID to share, for what purpose, with whom, and for how long. Review the easy-to-read terms and provide consent to share.
- Select the Activities tab to keep track of how your information is shared and revoke access at any time.
How much does the Airside App cost?
The Airside App is free. You can download it from the Apple App Store onto a mobile device with iOS 13.0 or later.
Do I have to be connected to Wi-Fi or a cellular network to use the Airside App?
Yes. Turn on your Wi-Fi or data and make sure the Date & Time settings for your device are set for your current, local time zone.
What kinds of IDs can I add?
You can add your passport, U.S. driver's license, selfie, and COVID test results. First, take your selfie. Then, add your passport and/or U.S. driver's license. Your passport is securely added using the Machine-Readable Zone (MRZ) and microchip embedded in the passport cover. Your U.S. driver's license is securely added by taking images of the front and back of the document. Your selfie is used as part of the verification measures performed on your passport and/or U.S. driver's license. To add your COVID test result, select the Services tab.
How do I add my selfie?
Check your mobile device settings to allow the app access to the camera. You may take a selfie at any time in the enrollment process, such as before you enroll your passport and/or U.S. driver's license.
How it works:
- Open the app and tap the IDs tab from the bottom navigation bar, then select Add ID (iOS) or the + button (Android).
- Select Take Selfie.
- Your camera will open up to allow you to take a selfie.
- Make sure you remove your mask, face forward, keep a straight face, keep your eyes open, and are the only person in the picture.
How do I add my passport?
Check your mobile device settings to allow the app access to the camera and NFC chip reader and make sure that your passport has not expired. (If you do not have a NFC-capable device, you will not be able to enroll a passport on the Airside App.)
How it works:
- Remove any external covers or holders from your physical passport.
- Open the app and tap theIDs tab from the bottom navigation bar, then select Add ID (iOS) or the + button (Android).
- Select Add Passport.
- Using your camera, align the MRZ (Machine-Readable Zone) code at the bottom of the passport in the drawn field on the app.
- When the code is correctly positioned, the field color will turn green.
- Using the NFC chip reader, place your device directly on the passport’s microchip, which is normally embedded in the front or back cover. In some cases, you may need to open up your passport and place your device on the inside of the passport.
- Upon verification, your passport will be successfully enrolled on the app.
How do I add my U.S. driver's license?
Check your mobile device settings to allow the app access to your camera and make sure your U.S. driver's license has not expired.
How it works:
- Tap the IDs or Services tab from the bottom of the main screen.
- Open the app and tap the IDs tab from the bottom navigation bar, then select Add ID (iOS) or the + button (Android).
- Select Add U.S. Driver's License. Place your U.S. driver's license on a flat surface.
- Take a photo of the front, then the back. Then, scroll to save. Upon verification, your U.S. driver's license will be successfully enrolled on the app.
Does the Airside App replace my physical IDs?
No, the Airside App is not a replacement for your physical IDs. The digital version of your passport and U.S. driver's license on the app is a convenient and secure companion to your physical document, which can be used to unlock many services requiring ID verification.
What can the vaccination card service be used for?
The vaccination card service allows you to store an image of your vaccine card in a convenient and usable location and not just the photo roll on your phone. This feature is designed to make showing proof of vaccination faster and more convenient – and provide a link between a self-attestation info with ID verification. This allows you to safely present your card to restaurants, offices, hotels, theme parks and/or in other situations where a visual presentation of an image of the vaccination card is acceptable.
Are the uploaded vaccination records validated in order to guarantee that the information is accurate?
Airside does not vouch for the validity of the vaccine card images or the results themselves. It is up to the relying party (the organization reviewing the information) to determine their own level of confidence in the image presented.
How do you know the vaccine records I uploaded do not belong to someone else?
Airside verifies the identity of the user through biometric matching and ID document verification. However, it is up to the individual to self-attest the validity and accuracy of the vaccine record.
Who has access to my vaccination records?
Only you can access your records and determine how long to keep them. Your information - both your identity info and your vaccination records - is kept locally on your phone in the Airside App, and there is no central database at Airside where your information resides.
How can I manage my IDs?
Your IDs are only located on your encrypted device. Airside does not use a central database, therefore your IDs cannot be edited, shared, or deleted remotely. You may store your IDs on the app or choose to add them each time you use a service.
View: To find the IDs you've added to the app, tap the IDs tab. This will provide a list of your enrolled official documents, like your passport and/or U.S. driver's license. Tap the individual IDs here to make any edits.
Edit: If your passport or U.S. driver's license has expired, you may delete it from the app and add your new ID. To change your selfie, select the IDs tab, then tap your enrolled selfie. Your camera will open up again and allow you to take another photo.
Delete: To delete your IDs from the device, open the IDs tab, select the ID, and scroll to the bottom to delete.
NOTE: Deleting your IDs will remove your IDs and revoke any active consents. However, if you uninstall the Airside App, all active consents will expire automatically at their expiration date.
What if I deleted my IDs?
No worries. You can enroll your selfie, passport, and U.S. driver’s license again. Please know that any consents linked to a deleted ID are automatically revoked and will no longer be active. To use the services you need to add your IDs again.
Can I access my Airside App from separate mobile devices?
No. There is no way to digitally transfer IDs or previous activities from one device to another. You will need to add your IDs on the device you intend to use while using the services.
How do I change my PIN?
The app is encrypted on your device using your Touch ID, Face ID, or device PIN, which are stored on your device keychain. That means you don't need to remember an app-specific PIN or password. To change your TouchID, FaceID, or device PIN, please visit your Settings.
What is a share consent?
A share consent is similar to a contract between you and a relying party (e.g. airline) that details the requested information, the purpose of use, the duration of the agreement and all involved parties. Airside’s goal is to present this critical information in an easily understandable and transparent form to you to ensure you always know your agreement.
How exactly is my personal information shared?
After adding and verifying your ID(s) and providing your consent to share, your personal information will be transported with end-to-end encryption to the organization in a standards-based approach with an explanation of the terms and permissions.
Specifically, the consent process allows you to review the following conditions before, during and after the time your information is shared:
- What kinds of identified personal information is shared for the selected service
- Which relying party may access personal info and for what purpose (e.g. airline)
- How long personal info is shared and when it will expire
- How personal info is encrypted in storage and throughout transactions
- How you may revoke your consent to share
What happens to my information after the share consent has expired?
Upon expiration of a given consent, the key used by the relying party to unlock the identified personal information from your ID(s) will no longer work and their access to your IDs will be denied. If you'd like to initiate another share consent, tap the Services tab
Can I renew an expired share consent?
No. After the share consent period has expired you will need to initiate another share consent to use the services.
How can I revoke my share consent?
You may revoke a share consent easily by tapping the Activities tab, selecting the service for which you want to revoke a share consent, and scroll to the bottom of the form to tap Revoke Consent.
What is the document scanner?
The document scanner helps save time and reduce error when adding a passport or U.S. driver’s license on the app. Instead of manually entering the information from the ID, the scanner quickly and accurately captures the information needed for verification and automatically fills in the data fields. Use the document scanner in a stable, well-lit environment and avoid reflection.
Why didn’t the app verify my U.S. driver’s license?
Depending on which biographic and biometric attributes were collected and are contained in the driver’s license issued by your particular state, it may not be possible to validate and verify its credentials to your real-life physical presence. To continue using the services on the Airside App, please add your passport instead.
What is the NFC chip reader?
Near field communication (NFC) is a secure, touchless technology that allows two devices to talk to each other when they’re close together.
When adding a passport to the Airside App, you’ll first use the document scanner to capture your biographic information from the machine-readable zone (MRZ) code located at the bottom of the front page. Then, you’ll use the NFC chip reader to validate that biographic data and compare the biometric photo on your passport to your selfie on the app.
Please note that when using the NFC chip reader, you’ll need to place your device directly on the passport’s microchip, which is normally embedded in the front or back cover. In some cases, you may need to open up your passport and place your device on the inside of the passport. NFC microchips and antennas in passports vary depending on the issuing country. Microchips can also be damaged, making them unreadable by a device.
How is the Airside App secure?
Making it clear to you what information is transmitted, to whom, for what purpose, and for how long, is central to how we approach all of our product designs.
Using the Airside App, the authenticity of your ID(s) will be verified and protected by robust encryption and security technology. Your information will be encrypted at rest on your device and during transit. Airside does not use a central database and cannot access, does not own, and will not sell information. Your IDs are only located on your encrypted device and are only shared with the identified relying party when you give consent.
Will you tell me more about my data privacy and security?
Absolutely. There has never been a time when the integrity and privacy of digital identity were more important. We believe your control of your personal information is a fundamental right and you can do so easily using our services. We promise the highest levels of security to keep your information safe and commit to only using your information for the purpose(s) to which you have agreed in the consent process.
Specifically, the Airside App uses an AES algorithm and a strong 256bit key derived from your Touch ID, Face ID, or device PIN, which are stored on your device keychain. That means you don't need to remember an app-specific PIN or password and that you are the key to unlocking your personal information. After you give consent to share your personal information, it is transported via end-to-end encryption protocols.
Who developed the Airside App?
Founded in 2009 and headquartered in the Washington D.C. area, Airside committed from the start that data privacy is a human right and began building secure and convenient digital identity technology in a way that protects personal information and meets privacy regulations around the world. Our unique architecture led to a partnership with U.S. Customs and Border Protection and Airports Council International-North America and the launch of the Mobile Passport App in 2014. Mobile Passport is now trusted by over nine million people at over 30 U.S. airports and cruise ports as a secure, touchless solution for travelers to save time and gain peace-of-mind during the customs inspection process.
Airside’s larger privacy network is the first of its kind and keeps privacy-by-design and leading-edge security as its guiding principles for use by individuals and businesses alike. Individuals are empowered by controlling their personal information with transparent consent protocols on their encrypted device, and businesses protect against fraud and ensure a duty-of-care by managing only the information necessary for a variety of experiences. Strong encryption technology using innovative, decentralized architecture keeps information safe, eliminating any source verification database that can be accessed or used by Airside.
Who can I contact for support?
We'd love to hear from you! Please email us at [email protected]
Limited Edition: Airline Service
What is the Airline Mobile ID Service and how can I download the app?
The Airside Limited Edition App makes it easy and safe to share your verified passport and U.S. driver’s license from your mobile device to self-check your luggage and enter the airline lounge using biometric identity technology at the airport. You will know if you have the opportunity to use these services if you have received an email from your airline with steps on how to download and use the app for this purpose. You can download it from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
How do I use the Airlines Mobile ID services?
- Upon receiving an email from your airline, download the Airside Limited Edition App and add your passport and/or U.S. driver’s license before your trip.
- Within 7 days of your departure, open the Airside Limited Edition App and select “Services” from the bottom menu. Next, select “HERE” on the tile showing the Mobile ID service. On the next screen, choose Continue. From the drop-down menus select departure airport, departure date, and an ID. For lounge access, enter your member number.
- Before you go to the airport make sure to bring your mobile device with the app and your physical ID(s).
- Power up your device and turn on Wi-Fi or data. Make sure the Date & Time settings for your device are set for your current, local time zone.
- Once you arrive at the airport, look for your airline’s signage to use the Airside Limited Edition App for bag drop check-in or lounge access. (If you haven't already set up the app, you can scan the QR code on the sign to download it from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.)
- Approach the verification tablet at the access point for bag drop check-in or the lounge. The camera will take a facial scan to match your face with the official ID you enrolled on the Airside Limited Edition App.
- For bag drop, your bag tag(s) will be printed, and you can attach them to your bag(s) and leave them at the bag drop location. For lounge access, you will be granted access to enter.
How long will the airline have access to my ID?
The airline will gain access to your ID at 12:01am on the day before your departure date. Your share consent will expire after 48 hours or until you revoke consent.
Can I use the bag drop service for someone else using the Airside App?
No. At this time, the Airside Limited Edition App may be used by one traveler using their mobile device.
Does the Airside App replace my passport and U.S. driver's license?
No, the Airside App is not a replacement for your physical IDs. It's a good practice to keep your physical IDs with you during any inspection process. To use the Airside App, you may enroll your passport and/or your U.S. driver's license.
What do I need when I arrive at the access point?
Bring your enrolled physical ID(s) and your device. We suggest that you complete the enrollment steps on the app before you arrive at the access point at the airport to further ease your use of the services.
The Airside Limited Edition App is not a replacement for your physical passport or U.S. driver's license. You will still need to have your physical ID(s) with you at the time you arrive at the access point to use the services.
What is the Live Facial Identification System (LFIS)?
The verification tablet at the airline access point is powered with LFIS biometric technology to match the photo of your enrolled ID on the Airside Limited Edition App to a live capture of your face.
Can I access the airline lounge without using the Airside Limited Edition App?
Yes, you can use the manual check-in process to access the airline lounge regardless of whether you have previously enrolled and consented to share your information via the app.
Do I have to be connected to Wi-Fi or a cellular network to use the app?
Yes. Ease your arrival by enrolling your personal information and completing the Services tile on the app before you arrive at the airport. Then, upon your arrival, turn on your Wi-Fi or data, make sure the Date & Time settings for your device are set for your current, local time zone, and use the app.
Business Solutions Help
Support for companies using our Airside business products.
Airside App Help
Support for individuals using our Airside App.
Mobile Passport Help
Support for individuals using our Mobile Passport App.