FAQs for individual using our Airside App.
FAQs for individuals using our Mobile Passport App.
What is the Airside App?
The Airside App is a convenient and private solution to manage your verified digital identity. The application can be used to easily add, store, and share your passport, driver’s license, and COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card. By using the Airside App, you save time while maintaining control of your data.
How do I use the Airside App?
- Download the Airside Digital Identity App for free from the Apple App Store onto a mobile device with ≥14.0 or the Google Play Store onto a mobile device with Android ≥8.0 (API level 26). Android devices must also have NFC capability.
- Open the app and create an account using your email address. Check your email inbox for a verification code to confirm your email address. Your account will be encrypted using TouchID, FaceID, or your device PIN.
- Select the IDs tab to take your selfie, then add and verify your passport and/or driver's license.
- Select the Services tab and determine how you’d like to use your digital ID. Services available: the American Airlines Mobile ID for use at TSA PreCheck® and the Admirals Club® lounge, and the Health Pass Service for your COVID-19 Vaccination Record (iOS only).
- Select the Activities tab to keep track of how your information is shared and revoke access at any time.
How much does the Airside App cost?
Do I have to be connected to Wi-Fi or a cellular network to use the app?
What kinds of documents can I add to the app?
Why do I need to take a selfie?
Your selfie is required as part of the verification measures performed on your ID.
How do I add a passport?
Make sure your passport has not expired and confirm that it has an electronic NFC chip embedded in the cover, which is usually identified by an e-Passport gold square symbol on the front cover, located under the country of origin.
If it doesn’t, you will not be able to enroll your passport on the app.
Next, check your mobile device Settings to allow the app access to the camera and NFC chip reader.
How to add a passport:
- Find a stable, well-lit environment to avoid distortion or glare on the passport.
- Remove any external covers or holders from your passport.
- Open the app and tap the IDs tab from the bottom navigation bar, then select Add ID (iOS) or the + button (Android).
- Select Add Passport.
- Using the camera, align the MRZ (Machine-Readable Zone) code at the bottom of the passport in the drawn field on the app.
- When the code is correctly positioned, the field color will turn green.
- Keeping your passport open, place your phone flat against the photo page. Move your phone slowly until the chip has been located.
- Upon verification, your passport will be successfully enrolled on the app.
How do I add a driver’s license?
Check your mobile device Settings to allow the app access to your camera and make sure your driver's license has not expired.
How to add a driver’s license:
- Find a stable, well-lit environment to avoid distortion or glare on the driver’s license.
- Select the IDs tab from the bottom navigation bar, then select Add ID (iOS) or the + button (Android).
- Select Add Driver's License. Place your driver's license on a flat surface.
- Take a photo of the front, then the back. Then, scroll to save.
- Upon verification, your driver's license will be successfully enrolled on the app.
Why didn’t the app verify my driver’s license?
Depending on which biographic and biometric attributes were collected and are contained in the driver’s license issued by the state, it may not be possible to validate and verify its credentials to your real-life physical presence.
Additionally, if you are trying to enroll your driver’s license to use the American Airlines Mobile ID for use at TSA PreCheck® and the Admirals Club® lounge, the following states are not eligible - AK, CA, LA, MN, NH, NV, NY, OK, SC, UT, WV. Travelers from these states should use their passport for creating an American Airlines Mobile ID.
How can I manage my IDs?
Your IDs are only located on your encrypted device. Airside does not use a central database, therefore your IDs cannot be edited, shared, or deleted remotely. You may store your IDs on the app or choose to add them each time you use a service.
View: To find the IDs you've added to the app, tap the IDs tab. This will provide a list of your enrolled documents, like your passport and driver's license.
Edit: If your passport or driver's license has expired, you may delete it from the app and add your new ID. To change your selfie, select the IDs tab, then tap your enrolled selfie. Your camera will open and allow you to take another photo.
Delete: To delete your IDs from the device, open the IDs tab, select the ID, and scroll to the bottom to delete.
NOTE: Deleting your IDs will remove your IDs and revoke any active consents. However, if you uninstall the app, all active consents will expire automatically at their expiration date.
What if I deleted my IDs?
No worries. You can enroll your ID again. Please know that any consents linked to a deleted ID are automatically revoked and will no longer be active. To use the services on the app, you will need to add your IDs again.
Does the app replace my physical IDs?
No, the Airside Digital Identity App is not a replacement for your physical IDs. The digital version of your passport and driver's license on the app is a convenient and secure companion to your physical document, which can be used to unlock many services requiring ID verification.
What is the document scanner?
The document scanner helps save time and reduce error when adding an ID on the app. Instead of manually entering the information from the ID, the scanner quickly and accurately captures the information needed for verification and automatically fills in the data fields. Use the document scanner in a stable, well-lit environment and avoid reflection.
What is the NFC chip reader?
Near field communication (NFC) is a secure, touchless technology that allows two devices to talk to each other when they’re close together.
When adding a passport to the app, you’ll first use the document scanner to capture your biographic information from the machine-readable zone (MRZ) code located at the bottom of the front page. Then, you’ll use the NFC chip reader to validate that biographic data and compare the biometric photo on your passport to your selfie on the app.
The passport’s microchip is normally embedded in the front or back cover. Keep your passport open and place your phone flat against the photo page. Move your phone slowly until the chip has been located. NFC microchips and antennas in passports vary depending on the issuing country. Microchips can also be damaged, making them unreadable by a device
Can I access my Airside App from separate mobile devices?
Can I use the app for multiple people?
No. At this time, IDs can only be enrolled on the app for one person.
Do I need to be a U.S. citizen to use the app?
Is there an age restriction for using the app?
How do I change my PIN?
What is a share consent?
How exactly is my personal information shared?
Specifically, the consent process allows you to review the following conditions before, during and after the time your information is shared:
- What kinds of identified personal information is shared for the selected service;
- Which organization may access personal info and for what purpose;
- How long your personal info is shared and when it will expire;
- How your personal info is encrypted in storage and throughout transactions; and
- How you may revoke your consent to share.
What happens to my information after the share consent has expired?
Can I renew an expired share consent?
How is the app secure?
Will you tell me more about my data privacy and security?
Specifically, the Airside App uses your Touch ID, Face ID, or device PIN, which are stored on your device keychain. That means you don't need to remember an app-specific PIN or password and that you are the key to unlocking your personal information. After you give consent to share your personal information, it is transported via end-to-end encryption protocols.
Who developed the Airside App?
Founded in 2009 and headquartered in the Washington D.C. area, Airside committed from the start that data privacy is a human right. We build secure and convenient digital identity technology in a way that protects personal information and meets privacy regulations around the world.
Our unique architecture led to a partnership with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and Airports Council International-North America (ACI-NA) and the launch of the Mobile Passport App in 2014. Airside’s Mobile Passport was trusted by over nine million people at over 30 U.S. airports and cruise ports as a secure, touchless solution for travelers to save time and gain peace-of-mind during the customs inspection process.
Airside’s larger privacy network is the first of its kind and keeps privacy-by-design and leading-edge security as its guiding principles for use by individuals and businesses alike. Individuals are empowered by controlling their personal information with transparent consent protocols on their encrypted device, and businesses protect against fraud and ensure a duty-of-care by managing only the information necessary for a variety of experiences. Strong encryption technology using innovative, decentralized architecture keeps information safe, eliminating any source verification database that can be accessed or used by Airside.
Who can I contact for support with the app?
American Airlines Mobile ID Services
What are the American Airlines Mobile ID services?
The American Airlines Mobile ID Services makes it easy for AAdvantage® members to use the Airside App to share their verified driver’s license or passport to enter select TSA PreCheck® security checkpoints and Admirals Club® lounges at Dallas Fort Worth International Airport (DFW).
Watch Video Tutorial
How do I use the American Airlines Mobile ID service?
- Before your trip: Download the Airside Digital Identity App and add your passport and/or U.S. driver’s license.
- Within 7 days of your departure: Open the app and select Services. Next, select HERE on the tile showing the American Airlines Mobile ID service. Use the drop-down menus to select departure airport, departure date, ID, and AAdvantage member number.
- Before you go to the airport: Pack your phone with the app and your physical ID(s). Power up your phone and turn on Wi-Fi or data. Make sure the Date & Time settings for your device are set for your current, local time zone.
- Once you arrive at the airport: Look for American Airlines signage to use the Airside App for lounge access. The camera on the verification tablet will take a facial scan to provide a biometric match of your face with the official ID you enrolled on the app. Then, you will be granted access to enter.
Can I access the airline lounge without using the Airside App?
Can I use this service to self-check my luggage at the airport?
How can I get more information about the American Airlines Touchless ID verification program and get support?
Who may use the American Airlines Mobile ID services?
For use at TSA PreCheck® you must be an American Airlines AAdvantage® member with TSA PreCheck®. You will be required to enter your AAdvantage® number and your Known Traveler Number (KTN) on the Airside App to use this service.
For use at the Admirals Club® lounge you must be an American Airlines AAdvantage® member. You will be required to enter your AAdvantage® number on the Airside App to use this service.
Both services allow a mobile ID to be created on the Airside App using a U.S. passport or driver’s license from states that are part of the AAMVA DLDV program. Driver’s licenses from the following states are not eligible - AK, CA, LA, MN, NH, NV, NY, OK, SC, UT, WV. Travelers with IDs from these states should use their U.S. passport for creating a Mobile ID.
What documents can I use to create an American Airlines Mobile ID?
When should I create my American Airlines Mobile ID?
What is the American Airlines Mobile ID for TSA PreCheck®?
This service makes it easy for air travelers to process through the airport security checkpoint using only their smartphone and face.
The traveler’s journey starts with the creation of a verified mobile ID on the Airside App. Then, instead of fumbling for their physical driver’s license or passport, they can securely share their mobile ID with TSA and receive a digital encrypted Quick Response (QR) code on the app. When they approach the TSA officer, the traveler will present the QR code on the phone and look into the camera for a facial biometric scan.
Where may I use the American Airlines Mobile ID for TSA PreCheck®?
The American Airlines Mobile ID service for TSA PreCheck® is available at select security checkpoints at several airports, starting with Dallas Fort Worth International Airport (DFW). Additional airports include:
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL)
- Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)
- Ronald Reagan Washington National (DCA)
- Gulfport–Biloxi International Airport (GPT)
- Jackson-Medgar Wiley Evers International Airport (JAN)
- Las Vegas Harry Reid International Airport (LAS)
- Miami International Airport (MIA)
- Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
- Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC)
How do I use the American Airlines Mobile ID for TSA PreCheck®?
To be super speedy, complete steps 1-2 before you travel:
- Set up the app: Download the Airside App and create your account. Check your device Settings to allow the app access to the camera and NFC reader.
Upon arriving at the airport security checkpoint:
- Power up your phone: Turn on Wi-Fi or data. Make sure the Date & Time settings for your device are set for your current, local time zone, and turn on Bluetooth.
- Find the TSA PreCheck® security checkpoint: Look for signage. Some TSA PreCheck® locations will have designated lanes for travelers using their American Airlines Mobile ID.
- Open the Airside App: Tap Present QR Code. This QR code will expire after two (2) minutes, but you can generate a new QR code to share when you approach the TSA officer. Likewise, if you keep the app open on the QR code screen, the QR code will automatically refresh every 90 seconds.
- Present your mobile ID: Present your smartphone with the QR code showing face up to the scanner. (Note: The feature that increases the brightness level when the QR code is enlarged was implemented to allow the scanner to better read the QR code. The brightness level is set back to the previous level once the screen is locked and unlocked again.)
- Look at the camera: A camera will take a facial scan to provide a match of your face with the mobile ID you presented on the app. Your biometric and biographic details will be displayed for the TSA officer to approve your entry through the checkpoint.
If I take a screenshot of my QR code, will it work as my American Airlines Mobile ID for TSA PreCheck®?
Why do I have to wait 24 hours before trying to use the American Airlines Mobile ID for TSA PreCheck® service again?
Why do I need to refresh the QR code for the TSA PreCheck® service?
You will present your mobile ID in the form of a QR code to TSA at the checkpoint. This QR code will expire after two (2) minutes. Once you arrive at the TSA security checkpoint, tap Generate New QR Code to enable it to be transmitted to TSA via BLE at that time.
What is a Known Traveler Number (KTN) and where can I find it?
A Known Traveler Number (KTN) is issued by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to those approved for Trusted Traveler programs, such as TSA PreCheck®, Global Entry, NEXUS, or SENTRI. You can look up your KTN on the TSA website.
What is the American Airlines Mobile ID for the Admirals Club®?
This service makes it easy for AAdvantage® members to save time and enter the Admiral’s Club® using only their face.
The traveler’s journey starts by creating and sharing their mobile ID with American Airlines via the Airside App. When they arrive at the entrance to the Admiral’s Club® lounge, and instead of fumbling for their boarding pass or ID, they simply look into the camera for a facial biometric scan to match against their verified mobile ID on the Airside App.
Where may I use the American Airlines Mobile ID for the Admirals Club®?
How do I use the American Airlines Mobile ID for the Admirals Club®?
To be super speedy, complete steps 1-2 within seven (7) days of your departure:
- Set up the app: Download the Airside App and create your account. Check your device Settings to allow the app access to the camera and NFC reader.
Upon arriving at the Admiral’s Club® lounge:
- Power up your phone: Turn on Wi-Fi or data. Make sure the Date & Time settings for your device are set for your current, local time zone.
- Find the Admirals Club® lounge: Look for signage to use the Airside App for access. The camera on the verification tablet will take your facial scan to provide a biometric match of your face with the ID you enrolled on the app.
Can I access the Admirals Club® lounge without using the Airside App?
Health Pass Service
What is the COVID Vaccination Card service?
Currently available for iOS devices, the vaccination card service allows you to store a digital image of your COVID-19 vaccination record card on the Airside App for easy access, eliminating the need to hunt through photo collections. This allows you to safely present your card to restaurants, offices, hotels, theme parks and/or in other situations where a visual presentation of an image of the vaccination card is acceptable. This service also provides a link between a personal vaccination self-attestation with your source-verified passport and/or driver’s license.
Watch Video Tutorial
Are the uploaded vaccination records verified to guarantee that the information is accurate?
How do you know the vaccine records I uploaded do not belong to someone else?
Airside verifies the identity of the user through biometric matching and ID document verification of passports and driver’s licenses. However, it is up to the individual to self-attest the validity and accuracy of their vaccine record.
Who has access to my vaccination records?
Can I use this vaccination card service to meet international travel entry requirements with American Airlines?
Business Solutions Help
Support for companies using our Airside business products.
Airside App Help
Support for individuals using our Airside App.